Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Little Ones


15 People were bringing even infants to him that he might touch them; and when the disciples saw it, they sternly ordered them not to do it. 16 But Jesus called for them and said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of God belongs. 17 Truly I tell you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will never enter it."

--Luke 18:9-17

Sunday at Advent was a wonderful celebration of Children’s Sabbath.  Children’s Sabbath is a Sunday designed to help us focus on ministry with children and, in particular, to advocate for children around the world who live in terrible conditions and perennial danger.  
It was simply wonderful to see so many of our children lead us in worship on Sunday.  I know that I was not alone as I beamed with pride at being part of a church that values children’s ministry so highly.  
In the afterglow of a wonderful morning, I received an email that I wanted to share with the entire congregation: 
...We were returning yesterday [Saturday] from a long planned vacation to be with both of our families in Florida.  We had a great trip, but ran hard all week.  Can't remember a night we had our kids in bed before 11 and many times it was much later than that.  Finally loaded up and left yesterday [Saturday]morning around 10:30 am for the road trip home.  By about the halfway point, all of us were pretty tired, and frankly a bit cranky.  My wife and I were ready to throw in the towel and stop for the night.  Not just one or two of our kids, but all three of our kids insisted we keep going.   All three wanted to be in church the next day for Children's Sabbath services, because they each had a part in the services.  We agreed to keep going, IF everyone behaved in the van.  Sure enough, the kids settled down, I started chugging the caffeine, and we made it home around 10 pm last night.  I can't ever remember as a kid having my parents use church attendance as a reward for good behavior.... 

The kids were all pretty wiped out when we got them down late last night.  My wife and I, again, agreed that we wouldn't push them to go in the morning if they couldn't get out of bed.  Again, all 3 were up and ready to go.

So thank you for all you are doing for our kids.  You've got them engaged and wanting to be there.  We're really blessed to be at a church with such phenomenal children's programs.
  
Isn’t it wonderful to be a part of church where children are so engaged?

Blessed,
Pastor Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment